Friday, July 13, 2012

A Thinker



I was very proud of myself when, while at the Museum D'Orsay I immediately recognized Balzac by Rodin.

The next day, at the Rodin Museum, we were greeted by The Thinker, which seemed to me to be a familiar old friend. Had we met before--besides in books?

As it turns out--we had.  Although now, I can proudly say that I have seen the original--the bronze and marble cast that inspired these thoughts stands in front of the Rodin Museum--was first cast in 1902.  There are more than 20 in all, including one at the Cleveland Museum of Art, which I have most probably seen before.

Inside the museum we were greeted, yet again by Mr. Balzac (this time in granite?), then another Balzac sculpture, then another, then a portrait painting. Finally--the piece de resistance--Nude Balzac! Definitely more than I needed to know.

How many Mona Lisas will I see at the Louvre or at home in the US?

No comments:

Post a Comment