Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Paris, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down* **

Second night in Paris.  I can't sleep.  At 4 AM I don't want to wake hubby, so I get dressed and go down to the lobby to read, blog.  The lobby--which consists of a computer and 1 cafe table and two chairs, is dark.  The concierge is asleep on a bench.  What can one expect for $200 a day?

So...I trudge back upstairs to the hallway in front of our room and take out my book and read for about five minutes...until the lights go out.  I take off my clothes and get back in bed to toss and turn for another two hours.

Again I dress and go down to the lobby--which is open now.  I walk down the street and pass a meat truck with sides of beef hanging in the back, ready to be delivered to neighborhood markets.  Of course, I don't have my camera with me!  A few people--very few, considering it's now Monday AM, are walking the streets as I go in search of a cup of cafe au lait.  Nothing is open.  I walk back to the hotel and the concierge directs me to the nearest Starbucks, which he says should be open.  I get there at about 6:30 to find that it opens at 7:30.  So, I go back to the hotel where the concierge tells me that the cafe up the block should be open.  It is not, but, as the door is open, I walk in and I was told to come back in 15 minutes, but was graciously offered a cup or coffee to go.  For only 2.80 euros, which is a bargain, considering, til now the least expensive I've found is 5 euros.  But, that is not a problem as I am on vacation!

So, here I sit, blogging, sorry if I'm grumpy, but I'm much happier now that I've had my coffee.

*The title of a book that I brought to Paris with me, very entertaining, written by an American business man living in Paris.  Highly recommended.  The author is Rosencrans Baldwin.

**As we check out of the hotel on Tuesday afternoon, I see a sign that says "coffee and tea 24 hours a day".

No comments:

Post a Comment