Friday, October 28, 2011

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!! (And no pictures...)

Well...my first scarab is hardly etched...but that's the least of my problems!  I remember the first time I etched with Ferric chloride, it was in a class at C.O.D.  I remember Marge telling me she was going to try it at home.  I told her that I'd stick with using it at school.

I should've taken my own advice!  First, my scarab hardly etched, then I'd remembered that I'd thought that I mixed up the lids on my acid container and my neutralizing container one time.  I took what I thought was my acid container and poured baking soda in to neutralize.  It started to foam up (remember the movie, "The Blob"?...)  then, I picked it up and set it on top of MY KILN!!!!!  It continued to grow as I rushed it out the backdoor--fortunately the back door is the back wall of my studio.  It continued to foam onto my back porch.  I picked it all up into a plastic garbage bag and tried to rinse off the porch, so as not to kill my birdies.  (I should invite the squirrels to lunch...)

I hope that I'm really not screwed next time I turn on my kiln, and...
back to the drawing board on my scarab...

No comments:

Post a Comment