Thursday, July 4, 2013

Costa Rican Trees--Finished!

Yesterday and today I finished my trees; Robert said they were called hau trees.  I don't remember asking when I was in Costa Rica and, the hau trees that I've founed on the internet do not look like this and I can't find any similar on the internet.  I will find out though!

...Anyway, first thing I did yesterday was remove the bridges from the shoots at the bottom of the tree, and added a few branch stumps.  Then I removed the crossbar that held the working handle.
                                                            
Next it was time to make the leaves.  Here I decided to add some color, so I used transparent green and some opaque yellow.  Then I made a tree topper onto which I put the leaves:


Then we put the leaf groups on (I say "we", because without Robert's help I wouldn't have been able to do it!)..,.and



I also learned in class of a very inexpensive, low-tech way to give borosilicate glass a frosted finish.  Much cheaper than a sandblaster, and am considering frosting the trunk of the tree and leaving the leaves shiny.
What do you think?

Thank you again, Robert, for a fabulous class and all of your help!




No comments:

Post a Comment