Sunday, December 30, 2012

Back to work!

Between vacation and Christmas I've found a lot of excuses to goof off.  Back to work!  Time to make some glass--as you can see, I'm not yet committing to jewelry but, that's probably where this is going!   But...as soon as I said that I started thinking...maybe a mosaic.  Made of Aboriginal designs in glass.  I like it!  One thing nice about it--it can be as large, or as small as I like!  As they will be made on mandrels--I can take them off of the display (frame?) one at a time, or in groups, and string them into groups to wear.  What an idea!

This could keep me busy for months.

A bit of background: Traditionally, Aboriginal artists used ochre, a crumbly hard rock that is colored by iron oxide.  It comes in colors from yellows to dark reddish browns.  Many Aboriginal artworks are found on rock overhangs and caves. We visited Emily Gap, where we learned the story of the Three Caterpillars:






Today there arre many forms aboriginal art, some made of the traditional orchres but many today are available in acrylic paints and gouache as well.  Rock painting, bark painting and canvas paintings are all popular today.  Traditionally, Aborigines produced a type of aerial landscape, meant to tell a traditional "Dreaming" story.  Although the same symbols appear in many paintings, the Aboriginal people have kept their their meanings secret.

Thank you to:
http://www.aboriginalartonline.com/culture/symbols.php

and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Australian_art

 

No comments:

Post a Comment