Friday, June 13, 2014

And More Freakin Churches...

After travelling with Grand Circle and Overseas Adventure Travel for some time, I'd thought I'd seen enough churches to last me a lifetime...after 3-4 they all seem to blend together...

Welcome to Spain and Portugal...delightful in many ways, but mostly for its unique and varied places of worship.

My personal favorite, of course, is Barcelona's famous Sagrada Familia; its construction started in 1882, by the architect Francisco de Paula del Villa.  Its construction was taken over by Antoni Gaudi* in 1883.  When Gaudi died in 1926 the project was only 15 percent completed, and it is under construction today and completion is not expected before 2026.

For further information on its history and construction, please visit:
http://www.sagradafamilia.cat/sf-eng/docs_instit/historia.php










And...my favorite photo from the whole trip, taken inside the cathedral.  I went back inside after leaving to see Gaudi's grave, which I couldn't find!  When I entered, I saw the light streaming through the windows and draping the interior:

                         

  ...to be continued...


*As he is the reason that I went to Spain (Filipa--he was all I knew! Much, much more to love about Spain & Portugal), I will elaborate further on Gaudi in another post. 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment